General Summary of Job
Bather/Brusher’s primary duties are to properly prepare, bathe and finish pets by using humane practices and minimizing pet stress. Additionally, the Bather/Brusher is responsible for the maintenance and cleaning of the groom area. Pet Care Counselors may be cross-trained in bather/brusher procedures for the groom shop. The Bather/Brusher works under the supervision of the Senior Groomer and/or Groom Shop Manager and reports to the General Manager of the business.
1. Perform bath functions as requested by client and described on the groom card
a. Nail trim
b. Tooth brushing
2. Prepare dogs for bathing in accordance to procedures
a. Brush out dog with proper tools
b. Trim nails
c. Clean ears
3. Bathe dogs as described in procedures
4. Dry dogs completely
a. When time permits hand dry dogs completely
b. Cage dryer is to be used for bath dogs, intermediate drying of groom dogs, and for dogs that are overstressed by the hand dryer
c. All groom dogs must be completely dry and finished drying by hand
5. Finish dogs as described in procedures
a. All dogs should be finish brushed and combed.
b. Bath dogs should have cologne and bandana applied unless client requests otherwise.
6. Keep bathing stations stocked with supplies, tools cleaned and ready for use. Request all inventory through the building/ operational manager.
7. Keep groom shop clean
a. During the work day keep the room safe by wiping up water spills and pet accidents as soon as possible
b. At the end of each workday all hair should be swept/mopped from floor and cleaned from tubs/shower
c. Holding cages should be thoroughly scrubbed down and ready for next day’s arrivals
8. Update pet status on white board and point of sale system. Advise receptionist when dogs that are to be “called when ready” are finished. Work with receptionist on closing out grooming tickets after pet service is completed
9. Walk dogs that are kept in groom shop in accordance to procedures and note time of walk on white board or groom card
10. Follow safety procedures for pets and staff at all times. Ask for assistance when a pet is stressed, very difficult to manage or showing any signs of injury.
Minimum Experience, Skills, Certification or Academic Background Required
1. High school graduate or GED preferred
2. Good oral communication skills
3. Previous work experience demonstrating dependability
4. Previous experience providing animal care (personal or job related)
5. Self-motivated, independent worker
6. Proven ability to follow instructions and learn new things
7. Ability to work in a team environment
8. Demonstrated flexibility and proven coping skills