General Summary of Job
The Groomer’s primary duties are to properly groom and finish pets by using humane practices and minimizing pet stress. Additionally, the groomer is responsible for supervising bather/brushers and the maintenance and cleaning of the groom shop. The Groomer reports to the Groom Shop Manager.
1. Perform groom functions as requested by client and described on the groom card or instruction form. Provide an attractive pet style that meets client’s expectations and is appropriate for the pet.
2. Ensure bather/brushers are preparing dogs for grooming in accordance to procedures.
3. Observe dog’s coat conditions and when necessary recommend shave downs versus dematting of pets.
4. Ensure receptionist is advised of extra charges required for brush-out or dematting.
5. Finish dogs as described in procedures.
6. Bathe dogs/cats as needed.
7. Manage groom shop work schedule to ensure departure times are met or client is notified in advance of unavoidable delays.
8. Keep grooming stations stocked with supplies, tools cleaned and ready for use.
9. Ensure bather/brushers keep groom shop clean.
a. During the work day keep the room safe by wiping up water spills and pet accidents as soon as possible.
b. At the end of each workday all hair should be swept/mopped from floor and cleaned from tubs/shower.
c. Holding cages should be ready for next day’s arrivals.
10. Update pet status on white board and point of sale system. Advise receptionist when dogs that are to be “called when ready” are finished.
11. Follow safety procedures for pets and staff at all times. Ask for assistance when a pet is stressed, very difficult to manage or showing any signs of injury.
12. Advise groom shop manager of any issues with bather/brusher job performance.
Minimum Experience, Skills, Certification or Academic Background Required
1. High school graduate or GED preferred
2. Good oral communication skills
3. Previous work experience demonstrating dependability
4. Previous experience providing animal care (personal or job related)
5. Self-motivated, independent worker
6. Proven ability to follow instructions and learn new things
7. Ability to work in a team environment
8. Demonstrated flexibility and proven coping skills